83 161 SANSON, NICOLAS. “Terra Promissa in suas tribus partesque diuisa auctore N. Sanson albauilleo pro Hist de Republica Hebreorum Caroli Sigonii concinnata.” Hand-colored copperplate engraved map. 16 x 22.2 inches (40.6 x 56.5 cm). [Laor 695.] Milan, 1734. $500 - $700 ❧ From: Caroli Sigonii Mutinensis Opera omnia… Milan, 1732-37. The map is based on Sanson’s 1662 “Terra Sancta” and marks the Biblical division of the Land of Israel among the Twelve Tribes. It features a prominent title cartouche in the upper left with a tabernacle flanked by two cherubim of the Holy Ark. At lower right is a distance scale. 162 SEUTTER, MATTHAEUS. “Palaestina seu Terra a Mose et Iosua Occupata et inter Iudaeos Distributa per XII Tribus vulgo Sancta Adpellata.” Double-page hand- colored engraved map, two sheets conjoined. 20.2 x 23.2 inches (51.4 x 59 cm). [Laor 723.] Augsburg, c. 1745. $700 - $1000 ❧ From Seutter’s Atlas Novus sive Tabulae Geographicae. Before establishing his workshop in Augsburg, Seutter (1767-1757) was trained by the engraver Johann Baptist Homann in Nuremberg. Many of Seutter’s maps are based on the earlier work of Homann as well as Delisles and de Fer. In this map, the Holy Land is divided into the regions of the Twelve Tribes, and set with a large elaborate title cartouche of Jonah exiting the mouth of the whale set in an exotic locale. 163 TIRINUS, JACOBUS. “Chorographia Terrae Sanctae.” Copperplate map, two sheets conjoined. 14.7 x 23.5 inches (37.5 x 60 cm). [Laor 771.] Antwerp(?), first edition 1632, (or later). $500 - $700 ❧ Based on the 1632 map by the Jesuit theologian, historian and Bible scholar Jacobus Tirinus (1580-1636) from his study on the Holy Land: Commentarius Vestus et Novum Testamentum Tomis Tribus Comprehensus. The map ranges from Syria and Tyre southward as far as the Sinai, Egypt and Thebes. Surrounding the map proper on the left, right, and lower margins, there are as many as 19 inset maps and vignettes. The largest and most central of these is a stunning city plan of Jerusalem - after Villalpando’s ‘Hierosolymae Veteris Imago’ - which notes the various important buildings located there.