Abel Pann (Pfeffermann) was born in Latvia in 1883. In 1903, he moved to Paris to study at the art academy of Grande Chaumiere where his teachers were Adolphe William Bourguereau and Yehuda Pen. By 1912 Abel Pann had established enough recognition for his art that Boris Schatz, the founder and first director of the Bezalel Academy of Arts, invited him to work and teach in Jerusalem. Pann visited the city in the following year and decided to make it his permanent home. He returned to Paris to settle his affairs but was forced to stay there due to the outbreak of the First World War (1914-18) and this created artworks to further the Allied Cause. Pann’s work today occupies a central place among the master-artists of early-Modern Eretz Israel.